SmartWaste will help you...
Collate data in one place
Collate all your projects’ environmental impacts in one place to easily compare project performance and produce comprehensive reports.
Detailed information on waste arisings, waste management routes and waste management companies including licence and permit information can be used to demonstrate compliance.
Set targets for improving performance
SmartWaste data can be used to compare project and company performance with industry benchmarks, highlight areas for improvement and savings (including time and money) and set targets.
Align with BREEAM
Various software modules are available to record data in alignment with BREEAM requirements and reports are available to demonstrate where credits can be achieved.
What SmartWaste has done for our users
Saved by SmartWaste users
Tonnes of waste diverted from landfill
When it comes to your construction, demolition or refurbishment site environmental impacts, it’s important to understand where your project can be saving time and money and where performance can be enhanced to further reduce your environmental impacts.
Our capabilities will help users not only achieve the above but assist you with meeting the ever-increasing demands of project monitoring and reporting.
SmartWaste can be used across a supply chain, with organisations inputting building site data relevant to them, for the client or principal contractor to report and analyse, giving the vital information needed to identify trends and areas of improvement.
Based on feedback from our customers, the SmartWaste team have been busy developing several new modules which are now available to all our members, giving you even more areas to monitor, measure and report on than ever before.
- Incident and Complaints
- Ecological and Biodiversity
- Considerate Constructors Scheme
These new modules will help our members meet the ever-increasing demands for project monitoring as well as the requirements of BREEAM New Construction standards.
Measure and report on waste generated on site and whether it is reused, recycled, recovered or disposed. This provides visibility of key waste types, amounts, waste management routes, diversion from landfill and the related carbon impacts. Data can be easily entered online or via the new Application Programming Interface (API) which allows transfer of data directly from waste management contractors’ reporting systems.
- Provides a comprehensive platform for managing compliance with Duty of Care waste regulations.
- Maximises reuse and recycling of waste materials on site, resulting in environmental benefits.
- Improves a company’s overall recycling rate and the diversion of waste from landfill, generating major cost savings.
Capture information on water use, including mains water, water delivered to site or recycled water, and water discharge. Report on carbon impacts and cost of water use and discharge.
- Target and reduce water consumption to reduce project costs.
- Monitor water use, recycling, reuse and discharge to deliver environmental benefits
- Compare water usage with UK construction sector water benchmarks
Collate data about electricity, natural gas and fuel on site. Identify the main sources of fuel use such as site equipment, cabins, vehicles and generators. Report on carbon impacts and cost of energy use.
- Reduce the CO2 footprint of a project and save cost
- Set and monitor energy reduction targets to deliver environmental benefits
- Compare energy performance with UK construction sector energy benchmarks
Gather data on journeys, associated fuel usage, and related carbon impacts for waste removed from site, materials to site, and travel associated with staff and contractors.
- Focus on material sourcing and waste transportation to reduce journey times, fuel usage, and reduce cost
- Understand travel and transport impacts, and improve your environmental processes.
- Conform with carbon emissions Schemes and Standards.
Monitor the use of certified and non-certified materials on your construction projects including their embodied carbon impacts. Data can be recorded for material types inducing timber, steel, concrete and many more.
- Ensure the use of certified, sustainable materials on your projects to deliver environmental benefit.
- Evidence sustainable choices to achieve BREEAM standards and Client expectations
- Adhere to industry sustainability standards.
Biodiversity & ecological management
Capture key site data including ecology surveys undertaken, planting and removal of trees, installations of bat and bird boxes, and impacts on key ecological features.
- Ensure the local wildlife stays protected during your project.
- Meet your ecological and biodiversity compliance obligations.
- Evidence that actions identified in ecology surveys have been addressed.
SmartWaste includes a range of reports and charts across all modules which are available at project and company levels. In addition, there are reports bringing together information on cost, carbon and BREEAM requirements from the various modules. Performance can be measured against targets set at project and company level.
- Various reports are available at project, business unit or company level to compare performance against targets
- Carbon report collating information about carbon impacts from energy use, embodied carbon of materials, transport impacts, waste management and water use
- BREEAM report brings together information entered on various SmartWaste modules to support BREEAM assessments
Other site impacts
Capture evidence related visits from regulatory and local authorities, internal environmental audits carried out by staff and/or third-party consultants, as well as any complaints or notices received from external parties, including the public.
- Ensure concerns and issues are captured and visible, to support site management and best practice.
- Meet your compliance obligations to standards such as ISO14001
- Ensure that actions relating to incidents and complaints are efficiently addressed, protecting your reputation with the broad community.
Watch the SmartWaste video stories
SmartWaste in use at the Kings Cross development
SmartWaste in use at the Broadway Project by Keltbray