Pre-demolition and Pre-refurbishment Audits
BRE SmartWaste Pre-demolition and Pre-refurbishment Audits: Supporting the Circular Economy
Construction’s focus on sustainable and efficient building practices has encouraged the application of circular economy thinking. Increasingly, new construction or refurbishment projects need to demonstrate, at design and planning stages, how waste reuse and reduction are going to be prioritised.
This obligation is embodied in BREEAM, the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for infrastructure and buildings. SmartWaste supports BREEAM’s requirement for Construction Waste Management and the need for a Site Waste Management Plan (SWMP).
BRE pre-demolition and pre-refurbishment audits provide independent advice about which products and materials could be reused or recycled. The audit enables the client to set targets and objectives for their project, satisfying planning authorities (e.g. GLA’s Whole Life-Cycle Carbon assessment) and BREEAM assessment.
The SmartWaste tool captures actual waste reuse and recycling data and measure performance against the project’s targets. The data gathered provides insight on resource efficiency and informs best practice guidance and future life cycle assessments (LCA).
How does SmartWaste support Pre-demolition and Pre-refurbishment Audits?
SmartWaste is BRE’s environmental and sustainability monitoring and management solution. It provides centralised data collection and validation capabilities that help construction, refurbishment and demolition companies deliver on their ESG reporting needs. Our solution delivers the following Pre-demolition Audit capabilities:
- Accurate reporting – supporting planning life cycle assessment (LCA), Circular Economy Statements and BREEAM assessment and certification.
- Set and manage targets – establish your material reuse and recycling ambitions for the project and set applicable targets. Set targets for the overall reuse recycling and recovery rate and the landfill diversion rate for key materials.
- Record performance – using SmartWaste’s data capture tools, e.g. direct input, application programming interface (API) or bulk upload functionality capture and collate waste performance and material data accurately and reliably.
- Performance measurement and insight – SmartWaste provides extensive reporting capabilities, performance indicators and benchmarks to help your organisation manage its Circular Economy commitments and ESG reporting needs.
Benefits of SmartWaste Waste Management include
- Enhance their reputation, brand and stakeholder relationships
- Demonstrate resource conservation, increased efficiency, and responsible and sustainable sourcing
- Inform decisions to design out construction, demolition and excavation waste
- Reduce environmental nuisance
- Identify opportunities for salvage, reuse and recycling that support the local community
- Best practice in materials waste management
- A duty of care for material waste
- Increase project value
- Support achievement of BREEAM certification and the resulting increase in asset value
- Lower costs
- Identify materials that can be reused and recycled
- Savings in disposal and transport costs
- Revenue and landfill cost savings
- Manage waste sustainably and at the highest value
- Help appoint the most suitable demolition or refurbishment contractor
- Forecast outcomes based upon more detailed and more accurate data
Read more about pre-demolition and pre-refurbishment audits here.
Get your SmartWaste demo
Get your free demo of SmartWaste to find out how the tool can support you with pre-demolition and pre-refurbishment audits.
Get your free SmartWaste demo
Contact the SmartSite team
For SmartWaste enquiries, contact the SmartSite team.
03330 430 644
or visit the contact page.