SmartSite software release notes
Use the tabs below to see the latest software release notes for SmartSite tools, and don’t forget that with a new release, comes a new webinar to learn about these changes from our trainer – keep an eye on your emails for upcoming webinar dates.
YellowJacket software release notes
Release No: 2018 R15
Release Date 26.11.2018
Release By: BA Development Team
- System Administration Reports (new). This addition to the report menu option will only be accessible by YellowJacket System Administrators. System Administration Reports will be exportable in MS Excel, MS Word and CSV formats. Reports included in R15 are:
- Approved Users Report. This report is run at organisation/company account level. The list of approved users will be those on the system at report runtime. The report will show a user’s email address, name, login name, if they are approved, whether they have been locked out, when they last logged in, what roles have been assigned, a list of commissions the user is currently assigned to, and the user created date.
- Active Commission Report. The Active Commission Report is run at organisation/company account level. The list of active commissions available to the organisation will be those on the system at report runtime. The report will show the commission name and reference, start and end dates, the address and commission reporting parameters.
- User Activity Log. The User Activity Log can be run for all commissions or for selected commissions, and with specified start and end date parameters. The report will show, by month, the user name, email address, commission, number of inspections and audits completed, number of observations raised, number of actions assigned, number of actions resolved and/or closed out on time and the number of actions overdue.
- Staff & Hours Report. The Staff & Hours Report can be run with the following selection parameters: by organisation/company account, commission, company division, cost centre, service provider, sector and with specified start and end dates. The report will show the number of company staff and hours worked for each month selected, and number of subcontractor staff and hours worked over the same period.
- System generated email to new users. When a new user has been created on YellowJacket, the system will automatically send the new user a preconfigured email with their username and password.
- Incident Severity Frequency Rate (ISFR) Report. In R14.1 we introduced revised Incident Reports for Project Injury Frequency Rate (Cumulative), Injury Frequency Rate – Rolling 12 Months (Organisation/Company Division) and Injury Incident Rate – Rolling 12 Months (Organisation/Company Division). In R15 we will introduce a revised Incident Severity Frequency Rate (ISFR) report that will replace the ASR and Monthly ASR Reports. To complete the enhancement project for these revised Incident Reports R15 will also include the following changes:
- We will be updating the Incident Dashboard and the KPI Dashboard Names to be consistent with the revised Incident Reports. We will be adding KPI Trend Lines to the Incident reports for the KPI Threshold figures for RIIR, RIFR, and ISFR.
- Pop-up validation for entered KPI performance data will be included. When performance information (i.e. staff and hours) is being entered, the system will validate the data. If it falls outside of a configured and predetermined Baseline the system will colour code the variance (i.e. RAG) and allow the Commission Manager to provide an explanatory comment.
- The system will support a benchmark for hours worked per month at Commission Level. The benchmark will be used to validate staff and hours entered in performance information and will be set and maintained in ‘Maintain Calculations’.
- The user is to be blocked from entering staff and hours when the data date falls outside the commission start and end date. When zeroes are entered for a valid month a validation process will take place that requires the user to enter an explanatory comment.
- Amending Commission Start and End Dates. A Commission Manager will no longer be able to amend Commission Start and End Dates. Only System Administrators will have this ability.
- Modified Incident Severity Descriptions. The Incident Severity descriptions for negligible, marginal, critical, and catastrophic will be updated in line with HSE text.
- Reducing the number of system generate emails. The system currently generates an email for every action raised. In R15 we are applying new logic to reduce the number of system generated emails sent to an individual user. The following changes are being applied for action emails:
- Where an action is raised by the Originator on the Originator. This may be because the responsible organisation does not have a YJ licence, or simply where the Originator wants to record an action for later follow up (e.g. an aide memoir). In this situation, no email notification is will be sent where Originator (created by) = Responsible Party (assigned to).
- Where an action is raised on a satisfactory observation, no email action notification will be sent.
- Where an action is raised on an unsatisfactory observation, and the risk is categorised as ‘High Risk’ or ‘Very High Risk’ the system will continue to send an email notification. For all other conditions the system will collate the actions and produce a ‘Daily Actions Report’ that will be emailed to the user.
- The records in the ‘Daily Actions Report’ will be based upon all actions assigned to the user in the previous 24-hour period. If the user has actioned any of these items, this will not be reflected in the report. Each action listed in the ‘Daily Actions Report’ has an embedded hyperlink to take the user to the action in YellowJacket.
- Draft records on email summaries. The inclusion of draft records on email summaries will become optional. System Administrators can enable/disable draft records from appearing at Organisation/Company level.
Release No: 2018 R14.1
Release Date 15.07.2018
Release By: BA Development Team
- Embedded Training Videos. For Companies that have completed their YellowJacket training we have now embedded training videos in the YellowJacket desktop:
- Clicking on this ‘Training Videos’ option will provide you with access to all the available video modules that cover a broad range of topics.
- Module 1 will load by default. Scrolling through the list and selecting the video module you are interested in will load that instead.
- If you require access to these embedded training videos please contact your YellowJacket Account Manager or the YellowJacket Helpdesk.
- YellowJacket Training videos use Adobe Shockwave. If your browser does not have the Adobe Shockwave payer installed, this can be downloaded from https://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
- Information on Adobe Shockwave, including system requirements, can be found at https://helpx.adobe.co,/shocjwave/kb/shockwave-player-faq.html
- YellowJacket Mobile App. In the previous release of YellowJacket we added an Online/Offline mode that takes the YellowJacket Mobile App fully offline, without impacting upon other apps and services on your mobile device. In Release 14.1 we have added further functionality to enhance your mobile working experience:
- Your Commission Favourites on the Mobile App
- The YellowJacket Mobile App now presents you with the list of Commissions you have selected on the desktop. Using the toggle switch against each Commission on the Mobile App you can choose which you want to synchronise data for (image to the right).
- Those Commissions that have outstanding actions, inspections or audits are marked with an *. If you do not select these Commissions the associated data will not download to your device.
- At any time, you can revise your Commission selection on the Mobile App. Selecting the Menu button from the top right of the screen enables you to choose the ‘Commission Select’ option (image to the far right). This will take you back to the list of Commissions, where you can reset the toggle switches, and synchronise data.
- Your Commission Favourites on the Mobile App
- Releasing an Observation and Action before publishing an Inspection or Audit:
- If you are working on a long audit or inspection, but want to issue an observation and action before completion (i.e. publication) you can now do so from the Mobile App. A toggle switch on the ‘Complete Observation’ screen prompts you to ‘Complete observation now’ (image to the right). If this is selected YellowJacket will create a Commission Observation and associated Action when the ‘Finish’ button is pushed.
- Once you have completed (published) your inspection or audit on the Mobile App the Commission Observation and associated Action will be integrated back into your inspection or audit.
- If, for some reason, you do not complete the audit or inspection, the Commission Observation and associated Action will continue to exist in YellowJacket.
- The capability of releasing an Observation and Action before completion of an audit or inspection is only available when the YellowJacket Mobile App is in Online mode.
- Action by Observation Type Report. The Action by Observation Type Report has been amended. It now includes a ‘Generate Report’ button that will provide the detail on all Commissions within a Division.
- New and revised Incident Reports:
- The Incident Reports available from YellowJacket have been revised. The new and revised reports are:
- Project Injury Frequency Rate (Cumulative)
- Injury Frequency Rate – Rolling 12 Months (Organisation/Company Division)
- Injury Incident Rate – Rolling 12 Months (Organisation/Company Division)
- These new Incident Reports replace AIR and Monthly AIR, AFR and Monthly AFR reports.
- Improvement has been made to the data extraction and loading mechanism to improve response and enhance report accuracy.
- The Incident Reports available from YellowJacket have been revised. The new and revised reports are:
Release No: 2018 R14
Release Date 28.05.2018
Release By: BA Development Team
- Enhancement of the YellowJacket Mobile App to improve and shorten data load times.
- Revised terms and conditions of use that reflect the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR). Users of YellowJacket will be required to accept these revised terms and conditions to use the software.
- An Online/Offline mode that takes the YellowJacket Mobile App fully offline:
- In Offline Mode the functionality of the YellowJacket Mobile App remains available.
- Toggling back to Online mode causes data synchronisation and updating of YellowJacket.
Release No: 2018 R13
Release Date 22.01.2018
Release By: BA Development Team
- Rework of the dashboard’s code resulting in decreased dashboard loading times
- Implemented an automated cache clear down feature to enhance system stability
- System administrators will now have the ability to add/remove incidents from reporting analysis provided the record is published and not closed
- All types of consequences associated to an incident record are now displayed under “Upcoming Tasks and Events”
- Implemented a company level view to the Actions by Observation Type report
- A full list of sub-contractors now appears on the YellowJacket app
New Functionality (Create Organisation):
- Ability to add more than one primary contact when creating an organisation
- When an organisation is added, only the creating organisation will have the ability to edit the details
- Visibility of primary contact details restricted to the creating organisation
- Ability to search for existing organisation with visibility as to whether they are a YellowJacket licence holder or not
Release No: 2017 R12 (Environment Upgrade)
Release Date 20.11.2017
Release By: BA Development Team
YellowJacket has been updated to the latest Sharepoint platform.
Release 12 includes:
- Upgrade SharePoint 2010 to 2016
- Upgrade SQL Server 2008R2 to 2016
Benefits of these changes:
- With the advent of SharePoint 2016 not only are new possibilities introduced but also best practises have evolved. The new platform provides scope for future performance improvements to speed up reports, dashboards and portals.
- Minor aesthetic changes to text formatting and icon buttons.
Release No: 2017 R11.1
Release Date: 11.09.2017
Released By: BA Development Team
- Amend ‘return to work day’ once record is published
- Amend ‘Injury Classification’ on the consequences after they are published
- Incident visibility once assigned to a Lead Investigator – The creator should have visibility and see any updates made by the lead investigator
- Weekly Summary Email Reports to include the ‘Created By’ field under the ‘Actions Overdue’ section
Release No: 2017 R11
Release Date: 12.06.2017
Released By: BA Development Team
Incident Module Redesign
The incident module has been redesigned to provide a more intuitive process for logging your incidents. The key new features now include:
- Screen design to align with the Observations and Actions pages
- Ability to log the whole incident from start to finish (including observations and actions) on one screen
- Removal of the Master/Child record concept
- An incident dashboard to provide a single view of everything captured including the consequences and observations/actions
- Additional email notifications including when the incident is ready for close out
- Ability to add the location of the incident through the location map functionality
- A Body Map under the ‘Injury’ consequence to allow you to pin point all injuries
- The ‘Occupation’ field on the ‘Injury’ and ‘Industrial Disease’ consequence is now a drop down list
- The UK HSE Incident cost calculator link is now provided next to ‘Estimated cost’ and is no longer a mandatory field
Weekly Summary Email Reports
An improvement has been made to the existing weekly summary emails to include the following new fields:
- The ‘Observation ID’ will be displayed after the ‘Action ID’ to allow you to identify the actions easily from YellowJacket
- The ‘Created By’ field has been added after the ‘Status’ field to allow you to identify who has created the audit/inspection record
Users are now able to reset their password after the 5th incorrect attempt via the links provided on the login page
Release No: 2016 R10(Upgrade)
Release Date: 27.06.2016
Released By: BA Development Team
Area Type Description Process Improvement System Enhancement Users will have access to capturing process improvement data including time lost on process type issues. This will only be accessible once the training has been completed. The data capture aspect will be available via the mobile app with the reporting being available on the desktop. Report Actions by Organisation Previously, when running this report it looked at who created the record and not the company who is responsible. This fix changes this to point at the responsible organisation as opposed to the creating organisation. ISO9001 Terms & Conditions System Enhancement Currently, new users of YellowJacket are sent an email copy of the T&C’s. This new enhancement will prompt new users to accept the T&C’s after login to gain access to YellowJacket
Pick lists Bug Fix This fix will prevent system administrators from entering duplicate entries on the pick lists where they are done simultaneously. This is especially useful during training sessions where multiple system administrators are working together to enter data.
Mobile App Bug Fix Some special characters in passwords were preventing users from logging onto the mobile app. This has now been resolved and users should be able to use most special characters in their passwords.
User set up System Enhancement When setting up System Administrators on YellowJacket, all user privileges will be selected as a default
Pick lists System Enhancement Following the new functionality of editing pick lists to your needs, we have now added functionality to allow users to ‘select all/deselect all’ to make it easier for the selection process.
Release No: 2016 R9.1 (Upgrade)
Release Date: 10.04.2016
Released By: BA Development Team
Area Type Description Drop down lists System Enhancement System Administrators now have the ability to mark active or inactive the items in the following drop down lists: * Action Types * Audit Categories * Incident Types * Incident Severities * Injury Classifications * Inspection Categories * Observation Categories * Observation Types * Risk Ratings This functionality is available via the ‘Maintain Reference Data’ option under the ‘System Admin’ menu. Report Actions by Organisation Previously, when running this report it looked at who created the record and not the company who is responsible. This fix changes this to point at the responsible organisation as opposed to the creating organisation.
Release No: 2014 R45.0 (Upgrade)
Release Date: 09.06.2014
Released By: Development Team
Type Description Introduction Of Site Plans New Feature This release introduces a new feature to the system which allows commission owners the ability to upload site plans to their commissions. The site plans are then used in identifying locations where Observations have been raised and is administered by the organisations commission managers. New Design of Observation & Action Pages System Enhancement Based on feedback from the YJ user community the Observations and Actions have been redesigned to have data captured on one page in this release. In addition to the redesign of this page there have been a number of new features added to the Observation and Action
process to allow the system to capture more data with less button clicks: * The ability to copy Actions has been introduced to allow users to quickly copy the last Action they created but change either the responsible organization, responsible person, or both. * Location maps have been introduced with the ability to drop a pin identifier to illustrate the issue and pin point where it happened. * The summary boxes have been extended to 500 characters to allow for the capture of more data. * The full description boxes are no longer mandatory it is now optional to the user whether they wish to input any data in the full description box. * The size of attachments and pictures which can be added to the system has been increased by around x10. * Up to 5 images can now be uploaded per Observation / Action to allow the story of the issue to be told easier using pictures. * Images uploaded onto the system can now have marker pins dropped onto them to allow for faster and easier capture of data and identification of issues. * The process of closure on Actions has had a number of steps removed from it to make it faster and easier to close out Actions allocated to you as a user. * The ability to re-assign Actions has been introduced in this release giving those users who create Actions the ability to re-assign them to other companies and / or users if they have been rejected by the original recipient. * The Action audit trail has been changed to make it easier to see the history of the Action
throughout its process from creation to closure Audit / Inspection Observations Bug Fix When Observations were being created from either Inspection or Audit questions the responsible organisation field on the Observation record was automatically being populated with the name of the Inspecting organisation rather than the Inspected organisation. This has been changed in this release and any Observations raised from either Audits or Inspections will now automatically be populated with the name of the organisation being Inspected / Audited by default.
Release No: 2014 R4.0 (Interim Release)
Release Date: 14.04.2014
Released By: Development Team
Type Description Introduction of U.T.C (Universal Time Co-ordinated) New Feature This new feature will give all users the ability to define the time zone that they are working in therefore recording data at the local time for the country they are capturing data in. The feature gives System Administrators the ability to set a time zone for every new user who is added to the system. As an existing user, you can update your time zone from the helpful links menu on the left hand side of your home page or the commission home page. KPI Thresholds Bug Fix This defect was found after the last release and the introduction of dashboards. It occurred for some system administrators when they were creating and / or editing their KPI thresholds. This has been fixed as part of this weekend’s deployment. Commissions with no End Date. Bug Fix This fix was deployed to resolve the issue where the system was treating
commissions with no end date as historic. This has been fixed as part of this weekend’s deployment and filtered commissions should now correctly show based on filters for current and historic date selections. Incidents by Cause Report Bug Fix Some clients were experiencing an issue where the summary box on the Incidents by Cause Report was not displaying any information which had been captured on the page. This issue was found to be occurring if a user was copying and pasting data from a web page or online document into the summary box and as a result no text was being displayed. This has now been fixed and the summary box on the report will now display 100 characters from the summary field in the application. Dashboard End Date Bug Fix The new dashboard feature which was introduced as part of release 3.2 in January had a defect in the calendar which meant users had the ability to run filters for data in the future where there wasn’t any data captured. This defect has now been fixed and the default filter of current month -1 has now been implemented for all users.
Release No: 2013 R3.2 ( Release)
Release Date: 27.01.2014
Released By: Development Team
Type Description User Dashboards New Feature This new feature will give all users the ability to view a cumulative dashboard of data relevant to the commissions they have selected as their favourites. The dashboards show a range of reports and up to date statistics and can be configured using the filters to show varying
amounts of data related to a company’s live commissions. Set Your Own Home Page New Feature This new feature gives all users the ability to select which page they would like to see whenever they logon to YellowJacket. You can choose from Commission Dashboards, Commission Home Pages, Commission Reports Pages, User Dashboard Page or the existing User Portal Page. Once set and saved, this can be changed easily with a simple button click. Commission Dashboard New Feature This new feature gives users with access to a commission the ability to view the commission data in real time on a single page report which includes a number of statistics and graphical outputs. This dashboard includes the new Lost Time Incident Frequency Rate (LTIFR) reporting statistic and delivers data in real time with updates to the statistics as soon as data has been entered. Commission Weekly Summary E-mail Notification System Update This new service informs nominated personnel on a weekly basis of the status of a commission giving them an overview and status of Observations, Actions, Audits, Inspections and Incidents. The recipients of the email can be configured by a commission manager and details of the content sent are based on the organisations position within the supply chain for the selected commission. Observation & Action Type List New Feature There has been a new header added to the user portal page and the commission home page called “Helpful Links.” The user manual can be found under this link as can the new pdf list of Observations and their Associated Action Types. This list is designed to make it easier to find which options are available to users for the assigning of Observations and Actions. Satisfactory Observation Notification New Feature This new service allows commission managers to setup a list / group of email recipients to receive notification of “Good Practice” on a commission. The
email notification will be sent when any Satisfactory Observations are raised against a company in YellowJacket. The list is commission specific and can be managed by commission mangers to ensure specific notifications as required. Saveable filters New Feature With the introduction of the new Dashboards in this release and the inclusion of the new “Set as Home Page” functionality this release also gives users the ability to save filters on either of the dashboards allowing access to the most relevant information for a user faster and easier. Print Facility From The Observation List System Update Following on from the introduction of the commission specific “All Observation List” in release 3.1, users now have the ability to print the All Observations page. This can be done to reflect the filters which have been put in place to look at specific companies or Observations or can be done to reflect All Observations on the Commission.
AIR / AFR / ASR Filter Issue Enhancement The report filters on the AIR / AFR / ASR reports have been enhanced to only show current month -1. This means a user can no longer inadvertently select dates in the future to perform their Accident / Incident Rate calculations.
Release No: 2013 R3.1 ( Release)
Release Date: 28.10.2013
Released By: Development Team
Type Description Company Name Added to Displayed Details New Feature Under a user’s login credentials the system will now display the name of the company that user is associated to User Search Facility in the Maintain User Screen New Feature This new feature will give System Administrators the ability to search for users on their system easier. In addition, the user list can now also
be sorted in alphabetical and reverse alphabetical order. Commission Search and Archive Function New Feature The new feature gives users the ability to search for commissions more easily with a search facility. In addition the default view now gives users the ability to search for current and historic commissions (current commissions are based on a valid start and end date) Audit & Inspection Time Field System Update This has been changed to only show options at 15 minute intervals. This will give users the ability to schedule their Audits / Inspections for 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes of the selected hour. Commission based Reports New Feature This new feature will deliver commission based reports to a user directly from the commission home page this means that the data on the reports will be pre-filtered to reflect the commission which has been selected by the user. User based Reports New Feature This new functionality will deliver reports for a user based around their selected list of favourites. This means that if a user has selected 5 commissions to be on their favourites list, these 5 commissions will be selected by default when a user selects to run any of the reports in the system. Commission Statistics Ticker New Feature The application now has a number of commission specific statistics which display as a ticker on the commission home page. These statistics are dynamic and update in line with the live data on the system. These include: * Top 3 Satisfactory Observations * Top 3 Unsatisfactory Observations * Cumulative AIR * Number of Overdue Actions * Reportable Injury free days Commission Home Page Filter System Update There has been a new filter facility introduced to the commission home for Observations. This filter will give users the ability to search for Observations using either their Id number or the company assigned the Observation record. It is
designed to help users navigate and find data quicker and easier.
Injury Record (Absence Start and End Date) System Update There has been an option added to the Injury Incident records to allow users to mark the start of absence and the return to work dates as not applicable. This will allow Incidents with No Lost Time to be created quicker and completed easier.
Supply Chain Visualisation New Feature This feature shows an organogram of the project and the relationship between organisations. It also shows the Action Manager (Key Contact) for each company for the selected commission
Commission Based Unpublished Records and Actions New Feature This feature will show a user unpublished records and Actions which have been assigned to them which are specific to the commission they have logged onto. This is designed to make navigation easier and quicker for unpublished records and tasks which have been assigned specifically to the selected commission.
View All Option For Observations New Feature On the commission home page there is a new option to view All Observations related to a user’s company and their Supply Chain. This list is searchable and filterable and gives users the ability to look at large volumes of data easily.
Directors Safety Tour Report Product Enhancement The existing report has been further enhanced to include the total number of Actions raised per tour and is now grouped to show the number of tours completed per person and per company
Root Cause Analysis New Feature This feature introduces two new drop down menus to all of the Incident records. These pick lists are company specific and a system administrator can define, the content, whether they are mandatory or even whether the fields are visible on the page.
Release No: 2013 R3 ( Release)
Release Date: 19.08.2013
Released By: Development Team
Type Description Associate Staff to Commissions New Feature This new feature allows companies to add selected staff members to individual commissions. This will enhance the pick lists in the system for ease of use by only showing those people working on the commission Commission Drop Down Menu On Home Page New Feature The view button has been removed from the users home page, this means one less button click to access commissions Complete Commission List From Users Home Page System Update The complete commission list which is visible by individual organisations is now searchable. In addition the list now shows the commission number as well as the commission name. In addition the list has now been placed in a frame which means the save button will also always be visible for the selection and de-selection of projects to a users subscribed commissions list. Actions By Organisation Report System Update This report has been updated to include the currently assigned person in the Action process. This column will show who is the currently assigned individual as part of the overall Action process. The report will now show the Action creator, the responsible person and the person who currently has the responsibility for taking the next step in the Action process. In addition the report will now show the Action due date. This text will show in red if the Action is overdue. Incidents by Cause Report System Update The Incident by Cause report has been enhanced to include the Category of Injury field to allow for further data analysis. . Reports Home Page Software Enhancement The reports within the system have all had an Exit button added to them which allows for easy
one button click navigation back to the main reports page Commission Home Page – Observation Section Software Enhancement The Latest Observations & Actions section on the Commission home page now includes the name of the organisation responsible for the Observation. This will allow for easier identification of Observation records on screen. Home Page Open Actions Section System Update The hover over text on the Open Actions of a users home page now displays details of the commission and the module that the Action relates to
Observation and Action Edit Screens System Update The Observation & Action screens within the system have been updated to include the module from which the record originates. This Observation and Action records will now show Inspection, Audit, Commission, Incident etc to help the user identify more with the records and their close out process.
Report Filter in Directors Safety Tour Bug Fix The Directors Safety Tour Report has been re-launched after some bug fixes have been applied. These bug fixes should ensure that the data returned on the report reflects those Inspections which have been identified under the Maintain Reference Data section as “Directors Safety Tour” –
Inspection & Audit Scorecard Filters Bug Fix The filters on the Audit & Inspection scorecards have been fixed to allow you to filter on specific dates. Prior to this release the filters were only searching data on a per month basis.
Improved Login Screen System Update The login screen for the system has been updated to reflect the same look and style as the YellowJacket
Release No: 2013 R2.1 (Interim Release)
Release Date: 01.07.2013
Released By: Development Team
Directors Safety Tour Report System Update The Directors Safety Tour Report has been updated and enhanced to include all Inspections which have been selected as “Directors Safety Tours” under the Maintain Reference Data. This option is organisation specific and allows company’s to specify which reports they see as part of this report output. Deletion of scheduled Inspection series Bug Fix The process of deleting a series of Inspections was producing an error. This bug has been fixed in this release Action Process – Audit History System Update The on-screen Audit trail of the Action process now reflects the last person to update the record. Audit Templates System Update In this release the outputs from the Audit and Inspection templates now reflect the same order as the application Audit & Inspection Scorecard Update New Feature The scorecard reports have been enhanced to include the average scores for individual questions to allow comparative reporting. Actions By Organisation Report Software Enhancement The Actions By Organisation report has been enhanced to include the organisation name of the user creating the Action. Incidents By Organisation Report Software Enhancement The report has been changed to show the date of the Incident rather than the target closure date Report Page System Update To minimize the number of button clicks to access and view the list of available reports in the system and to enhance the user experience, there is now one single point of accessibility for all reports in the system. The new reports page can be accessed from the left hand pane of every users home page and will take you to a new page which has all of the reports on the one page grouped by the type (Incident, Audit, Inspection, Action)
Audit and Inspection Schedule Process System Update As a result of feedback from the user community, Audits and Inspections can now be scheduled up to 13 weeks in advance. This enhancement in conjunction with the ability to delete Audits and
Inspections will allow for better planning and scheduling and minimize the number of Audits and Inspections the system which are not being completed on the system.
Currently under development for the next system release the Associating Staff to Commissions. This functionality will give Commission Managers the ability to manage those users on their sites. This will make the drop down menus of people commission specific and make the selection process of individuals when assigning Actions and Inspections / Audits easier.
The business has also engaged in an exercise to scope potential development scope for a YellowJacket mobile application. This process will involve a number of workshops internally and interviews with various users across the business to understand our requirements for an offline YellowJacket application which would work on various types of mobile devices.
SmartWaste software release notes
This page details all modifications and updates made to the generic SmartWaste Tool.
If you have any questions about these changes please contact the team.
SmartWaste V7.1 – 4th March 2019
This release includes the ability to drill down into the ‘waste by product group’ charts and other minor amendments to the waste module, changes to licence types and the ability to view past bulk uploads for materials and staff transport. Some additional KPIs have been created predominantly for the new cost module and recycling rates can now be added via the API.
Membership licence types – user limits and linked projects
Within the company licence table, on the company details page, the information on your maximum allowances for numbers of projects and users as part of your SmartWaste licence has been improved. Greater clarity is now available on how close you are to your licence allowances. Extension packs can be purchased for additional bundles of projects and/or users if you need to accommodate more than your current licence allows.
The total number of live projects is broken down into:
- live projects (projects that have been set up in your account with an end date after today)
- live linked projects (projects owned by someone else that have been linked to your account for you to enter data (with an end date after today)
The number of users has been updated to only count those users that are active i.e. excludes disabled users.
Waste charts – At the project level, there is now the ability to drill down into the data making up the ‘Waste to date by product group’ chart. The chart shows total waste by the main waste categories. When clicking on one of the main waste category bars in the chart, you are taken to another chart which shows how that bar of data is divided between the main category and its sub-categories of waste. Clicking on a sub-category waste bar in this chart will take you to a filtered version of the waste data log which shows each individual entry that made up the sub-category waste bar in the chart. The colours of the bars in the chart have also been made static so that the same type of waste will always be the same colour.
Waste container list – amendments have been made to the following container names to bring further clarification:
- 1 cu metre bag/container (100L)
- 05 cu metre bag/container (50L)
- 20 cu yd container RORO (15.3 cu metre)
- 40 cu yd container RORO (30.6 cu metre)
Waste products – 20 02 02 Soil and Stone has been added as a sub-category under the main waste type ‘Other waste’.
Energy and water reports – labels filter
A filter is now available within the energy and water reports for labels that have been applied to water meters, electricity meters and gas meters enabling better interrogation of data.
Material and staff transport – view past bulk uploads
A log of past bulk uploads of materials transport and staff transport data is available that details when the bulk data was uploaded, the number of entries uploaded, the number of errors, an error report (if required), a copy of the file that was uploaded and details of who uploaded it. This log of past uploads can be found on the “Add data – Material transport” and “Add data – Staff transport” pages by clicking on the “View past uploads” button.
If you click on the date shown for an upload in the log, then a filtered version of the transport data log opens displaying only the entries from that bulk upload.
Users of level project admin or higher can delete a bulk upload from the past data bulk uploads page which will delete all the transport data associated with that upload in one go.
The following new KPIs have been added:
- Volume of non-hazardous waste
- Volume of non-hazardous waste landfilled
- Tonnes non-hazardous waste
- Tonnes non-hazardous waste landfilled
- Kg construction waste /m2 floor area
- KgCO2e from energy use/m2 floor area
- Total water use/m2 floor area
- Energy cost/£100k project value
- Energy cost/100m2 floor area
- Energy cost/£100k project spend
- Energy cost/£million project spend
- Water cost/£100k project value
- Water cost/100m2 floor area
- Water cost/£100k project spend
- Water cost/£million project spend
In line with GDPR the following changes have been made to SmartWaste:
- Contact details have now been hidden from the add/edit subcontractor and material suppliers’ details pages.
- Users will no longer be able to edit other users details except for their user permissions (for user types that sit below them only).
I-buttons have been added to provide clarity in the following places:
- Within the waste bulk upload form info sheet, for waste carriers, waste destinations and subcontractors: ‘If waste carriers, destinations and subcontractors contain special characters such as ~ or ‘ then the waste entry in the bulk upload form will not upload successfully‘.
- When saving a waste/materials/staff transport entry where Car or Van has been selected as the vehicle type and no fuel type has been selected the following message will pop up: ‘You have not selected a fuel type. If you save this entry without selecting a fuel type the fuel consumption and carbon emission for this journey will not be calculated’.
- On the fuel type columns on waste/staff transport/material transport bulk upload forms: ‘Please note that if the vehicle type chosen is car or van and you have not selected a fuel type, then the fuel consumption and carbon emission for this journey will not be calculated’.
- Within the help page under the online video tutorials, guidance has been provided should the videos not play automatically.
Subcontractors – assigned to projects
Like waste management contractors and material suppliers, you can now see which projects a subcontractor has been assigned to.
Add/edit project page
The ‘Construction Type’ field has now been made optional. This is so that SmartWaste can accommodate those projects that are beyond the scope of construction.
SmartWaste account manager contact details
On the ‘Company details’ page, super users can now see who their BRE SmartWaste account manager is, including their contact details.
SmartWaste API calls for creating, editing and viewing waste destinations have been updated to include the ability to add, edit and view recycling rates.
SmartWaste V7 – 12th November 2018
This release includes a new cost module for recording and monitoring costs for energy and water use, an improved list of waste container names and the addition of labels feature for water meters. There have also been some additional KPIs created, changes to the user permissions and improvements made to the marketing preference section.
Cost module for recording costs for energy and water
New functionality to record details of costs for energy use (including gas, electricity and fuels) and water use has been added.
Users can set costs for energy use or water use at company level and these will be applied as a default to project energy and water data. In addition, project specific costs can be added and these will be applied in place of company defaults. Users can edit cost data and updated costs will then be recalculated. NB If the number of data entries effected by the edited cost data exceeds 1500, a message will be sent to the SmartWaste team to carry out this recalculation outside of office hours.
A new reporting section, called “Cost” is available in the left hand menu of the reporting tab at all levels in SmartWaste. Here you will find the following new reports which can be filtered by date and downloaded in CSV format:
- Cost summary report – showing the cost from energy use, water use and the total cost.
- Energy cost report – showing monthly costs for each energy type, and an overall total cost for energy use
- Water cost report – showing monthly cost for water use, and an overall total cost for water use
- Chart – showing monthly costs broken down into water cost, electricity cost, gas cost and cost of other fuel types.
The cost reports will be generated from the data added in the water and energy modules and the information you enter on energy and water costs.
Updated container list
The container list in SmartWaste has been rationalised to provide a shorter list which is arranged by type of container to simplify the container selection.
Addition of labels feature for water meters
The labels feature can now be used on water meters, electricity meters and gas meters. For each meter set up multiple labels can be added.
The following new KPIs have been added:
- KgCO2e from waste landfilled/disposed
- KgCO2e from all modules (This includes CO2e from materials, waste management, energy use, transport (staff, materials and waste) and water use)
- Number of commercial vehicle movements from materials deliveries
- Number of commercial vehicle movements from waste removal (based on number of containers)
- Total number of commercial vehicle movements
- Total number of commercial vehicle movements/£100K project value
- Total number of commercial vehicle movements/£100K project spend
Updated user permissions
The user permissions have been updated so that company administrators can restrict the ability of project users to add/edit waste management contractors, subcontractors and materials suppliers.
Updated marketing preference section
The marketing preference section has been updated to allow you to choose what marketing information you wish to receive from BRE SmartSite and from BRE Group. All users of SmartWaste will be provided with product updates such as new releases and system maintenance.
SmartWaste V6.3 – 28th September 2018
This releases covers additional functionality for SmartWaste’s API (Application Programming Interface) which enables other applications to interact with SmartWaste, for example to facilitate uploading of data by waste management contractors.
The following have been added to the API:
- Ability to create new waste carriers, waste destinations and subcontractors in a SmartWaste account without having to assign them to a project at the same time.
- Ability to assign existing waste carriers, waste destinations and subcontractors to an existing project.
SmartWaste V6.2 – 6th August 2018
This release includes carbon reporting for water, the addition of the ‘Not in Use’ function for Material Suppliers, and the option to suggest a new KPI. There have also been several additional KPIs created and improvements made to the API system.
Carbon reporting for water
Carbon factors for water use have been added to SmartWaste. The carbon factor used can be found at company level under the ‘View carbon factors’ button on the ‘Company details’ tab. The carbon factor will be applied to any water usage entries with a date of 1st April 2018 or after.
Carbon is now calculated for water use in the following places:
- Add data tab – Water usage: The kgCO2e of carbon is shown for each water use data entry under a water meter.
- Reporting tab – Carbon: The ‘Carbon summary report’ has been updated to include a column showing kgCO2e from water use. This report can be found by clicking ‘Carbon’ in the left hand menu of the ‘Reporting’ tab.
- Reporting tab – This new report shows the total kgCO2e for water use each month and an overall total . This report can be filtered by date and downloaded in CSV format.
‘Not in Use’ function
The ‘Not in Use’ function has been extended to include Material Suppliers. Once marked ‘Not in Use’, suppliers cannot be assigned to new projects, and therefore will not appear in any drop-down lists for selection. Similar to Waste Management Contractors, a reason for not in use can be added to explain why the supplier has been removed.
Suggest a KPI function
There is now the ability to suggest a KPI that is not already available. This function sits at company level and is available to Company Admins and Super Users only. Click the ‘View KPIs’ button on the ‘Company details’ tab. From here click ‘Add KPIs’ to get to the ‘Assign KPIs’ page. Clicking on thebutton will lead to a form, which includes the fields: Module KPI relates to, description of KPI, and Units of KPI. Complete the form and click ‘Submit’ and the suggestion will be submitted to the SmartWaste team, who will review the request to avoid duplication and notify the user as to whether the KPI will be created and when. Once created, the KPI will sit within the relevant topic section alongside existing KPIs.
KPI report – Saved filters
Within the KPI report a new function has been added to save a selection of KPIs from the list, giving the filter selection a name. This filter is then added to the list for the KPI report. This can then be used in the future to quickly and easily run a report with those selected KPIs by choosing the saved filter from the list, entering the start date and end date required for the report and clicking ‘Update’. This makes the process of frequently running the same selection of KPIs more efficient.
New KPIs have been added, including:
- Total volume of waste/£100K project value
- Total volume of waste/£100K project spend
- Total volume of waste/£1M project value
- Total volume of waste/100m2
- Total tonnes of waste/£100K project value
- Total tonnes of waste/£100K project spend
- Total tonnes of waste/£1M project value
- Total tonnes of waste/100m2
- kgCO2e from waste management
- kgCO2e from materials
- CCS score – Care about Appearance
- CCS score – Respect the Community
- CCS score – Protect the Environment
- CCS score – Secure Everyone’s Safety
- CCS score – Value the Workforce
- Overall total CCS score
- Actual volume non-hazardous construction waste
- % Non-hazardous Construction waste diverted from landfill volume
- % Non-hazardous Demolition waste diverted from landfill volume
- % Non-hazardous Excavation waste diverted from landfill volume
- Tonnes non-hazardous construction waste
- kgCO2e from waste landfilled/disposed
- Total kgCO2e
Some of the existing KPIs have been renamed for clarity and those related to Carbon can now be found underneath the new Carbon section.
New calls have been added to the API to increase functionality for API Client users. The following new calls have been added:
- update waste data
- update waste carrier
- update waste destination
- update subcontractor.
The SSL Certificate for the SmartWaste URL has been updated to ensure data is protected.
SmartWaste V6.1 – 21st May 2018
This release includes a number of changes across SmartWaste.
Guidance and i-buttons
I-buttons have been updated in the following locations to provide better guidance:
- ‘Embodied carbon of materials (kgCO2e)’ on materials log: SmartWaste will calculate the embodied carbon of materials for deliveries dated 1st March 2018 onwards.
- ‘kgCO2e from waste management process’ on waste data log: SmartWaste will calculate the kgCO2e from the waste management process for waste transfers dated after 1st March 2018.
- ‘Target value’ on project level KPI report: No target value was entered at a project level so this value originates from the company level.
- ‘Waste formats applicable’ on set company options page:
Volume projects – Allows users to add new projects reporting waste by volume
Tonnage projects – Allows users to add new projects reporting waste in tonnes
A pop-up will now appear when adding new users to an account, reminding you to assign the user to a business unit (if applicable) and a project so that the user will be able to log in and access the areas relevant to them.
Extra text added to the summary report at the business unit/company level and group levels stating “To view all data across all date ranges, click update without entering date filters”.
As the owner of a project, you are able to link it to other SmartWaste accounts to enable data entry or data viewing by a third party. The text and i-buttons on the assigning page where you can link a project to external contractors has been improved to make it clearer what permissions you are giving users in the other SmartWaste account.
The SWMP module on a linked project is visible in a read only format to external contractors linked to the project.
KPI report – filters and pdf
Two additional filters have been added to the KPI report at business unit/company level and group level, allowing better interrogation of data:
- Project status: ability to select all projects, live projects or completed projects
- Project Archived/Unarchived: ability to select all projects, unarchived projects or archived projects
When the KPI report has been run, a pdf of the report can now be downloaded.
Waste management contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers – created by and last modified by
On all add/edit pages related to waste management contractors (including contractor, carrier licences, facilities, environmental permits and recycling rates), subcontractors and material suppliers (including supplier and certificates) details of which user created/last modified the information is displayed:
- Created by – user who created the record and on what date
- Last modified by – user who last modified the record and on what date
Transport – total fuel consumption
For transport associated with waste, materials and staff the field ‘total fuel consumption’ has been made non-mandatory. For a BREEAM New Construction 2014 project, upon saving transport data for waste or materials, the following message appears:
“Please note that for BREEAM Man03 reporting, details of total fuel consumption from transport of construction materials and waste is required. Do you wish to continue saving without adding fuel consumption data?”
Users can then click ‘Ok’ to save the data or ‘Cancel’ to go back to the form.
Project type volume or tonnes
Within the set company options page, for ‘waste formats applicable’, users will only be able to set up new projects for the options selected i.e. volume projects and/or tonnage projects. If only one option is selected e.g. volume projects, any data for projects previously set up as tonnage projects will still be able to be viewed at the business unit/company levels but new projects will only be able to be set up as volume projects.
Materials – certificate validation
When certificate validation is enabled for the materials module, only valid certificates will appear in the ‘certificate number’ drop down box on the add materials data page. If a certificate for a supplier has been marked as suspended then it will not appear in the ‘certificate number’ drop down box when trying to add materials data for that supplier and certificate.
Waste bulk upload form
This form has been updated so that a row of data will not be uploaded if there is no date given. An error report will be generated stating that for this row of data the following error was found “date is required”.
The design and layout of the Site Waste Management Plan (SWMP) pdf download has been improved.
SmartWaste V6 – 26th March 2018
This release includes a new look company homepage, the addition of new KPI reporting and target setting and inclusion of carbon reporting for waste and materials.
New look company home page
Changes have been made to the home page to speed up logging in and navigating through your SmartWaste account. In order to aid this, the summary data table from the company home page has been moved to the reporting tab under ‘Summary report’ in the left hand menu and in addition can now also be downloaded to csv. The company home page is now solely used to navigate to different business units/levels and projects in your account.
A new Key Performance Indicator (KPI) reporting feature has been added to allow users to monitor performance and measure against targets.
Assigning KPIs to your account: At the company level, in the company details tab, the relevant KPIs of interest to your company can be assigned to your account from a standard list for the waste, energy, water, materials, transport, biodiversity/ecology, project management and incidents/complaints/visits modules and BREEAM requirements.
Setting targets for KPIs: Targets can now be created for specific date ranges, this is useful for monitoring in line with continual improvement which may result in targets changing over time. Targets can be set against all of the new KPIs available at company and project level.
KPI report: This new report is available from the reporting tab by selecting “KPI report” from the left hand menu. Pick which KPIs you would like to include in the report (maximum of 20) and enter the date range you would like to run the report for. The KPI report is then generated as a table which can be downloaded in CSV format.
KPI builder: Look out for the ability to build your own company KPIs and run them in the KPI report. This feature will be coming in the next release.
Carbon reporting for materials and waste
A new reporting section, called “Carbon” is available in the left hand menu of the reporting tab at all levels in SmartWaste. Here you will find the following new reports which can be filtered by date and downloaded in CSV format:
- carbon summary report – showing the total kgCO2e from waste, energy, material and transport, and an overall total kgCO2e
- waste carbon report – showing monthly kgCO2e for each waste type and each waste route, and an overall total kgCO2e
- energy carbon report – showing monthly kgCo2e for each energy and fuel type, and an overall total kgCO2e
- materials carbon report – showing monthly kgCO2e for each material and each sub-material, and an overall total kgCO2e
- transport carbon report – showing monthly kgCO2e for each journey type (materials, waste and staff), each mode of transport and each fuel type, plus an overall total kgCO2e
The carbon reports will be generated from data you add to your account in the waste, energy, materials and transport modules. Default carbon factors were already in SmartWaste for energy and transport. Additional carbon factors have been added to enable the kgCO2e data to be generated for waste and materials. All of the carbon factors used, including their source, can be viewed at a company level under the ‘Company Details’ tab by clicking the ‘View carbon factors’ button. The waste carbon factors are based on the waste type and waste management route. The materials carbon factors are based on embodied carbon for the material or sub-material selected. The waste and materials carbon factors will be applied to any data you enter now with a date of 1st March 2018 onwards.
To enable more accurate carbon data to be generated for materials, the option to select a material and then a specific sub-material within that group of materials has been added. Selecting a sub-material is optional.
I-buttons have been added to provide clarity in the following places:
- Waste Management Contractor report at Business Unit level and Group level; “Data for this report will only appear if the assigned carrier and destination for the waste item have a recovery rate that is not expired.”
- “Overall Tonnage” column on the “Edit Multiple Entries” page of the Waste Data Log report; “If you change the number of skips or the skip size, please delete the original ‘overall tonnage’ figure, once saved the SmartWaste system will re-calculate the tonnage figure.”
Super users now have the ability to switch on/off the project linking functionality on your SmartWaste account. This can be found under the ‘Set Company Options’ button on the Company Details tab.
SmartWaste v5.3 – 5th February 2018
This release sees the addition of a new bulk upload function for materials data.
Bulk upload for materials data
The bulk upload for materials data provides the ability to upload multiple materials data entries into SmartWaste at once. A blank csv file and an associated material reference data document (containing lists of material suppliers, types of materials, certificates etc.) are available at the project level. Simply download the blank form, populate it with your material data, add the relevant reference data and upload the completed form to your project in SmartWaste.
The csv blank form is a simple format file with no drop downs; these lists are provided in the separate reference data document. The csv format file is designed to allow data to be easily copied and pasted. It may also be useful if you have historic data stored elsewhere which you wish to manipulate and upload to SmartWaste.
The reference data IDs provided in the separate reference data document alongside the csv blank form are needed by SmartWaste to enable uploading. Without these IDs, your data cannot be uploaded to SmartWaste.
Please read the guidance document explaining how to use the csv bulk upload for materials data, which can be found on the add materials data bulk upload page and the help page within your SmartWaste account.
SmartWaste V5.2 – 18 December 2017
This release provides a range of upgrades to existing SmartWaste modules.
Two new sub-sections have been added to the biodiversity module.
- Ability to record number of bird and/or bat boxes installed
- Ability to record number of trees removed and/or planted, with a figure provided for net gain or loss in trees
The water module has been split into two sub-sections, one for water use and one for water discharge. Under water use, water can be categorised as potable or non-potable. Relevant reports and charts have also been updated.
Add/edit project page
The floor area field on the add/edit project page has been made optional. This should assist sectors for which this metric is not appropriate such as civil engineering.
Labels for waste data
Customised labels can now be created and added to waste data entries to enable better data categorisation. Create as many labels as required at the company level, and apply as appropriate to waste data entries. These labels can then be used to filter waste reports to aid data interrogation.
CSV bulk upload for waste
There is now an option to use a .csv file for bulk upload of waste data on a project. The .csv file is a simple format with no drop downs, designed to make copying and pasting of data easier. The key difference between this .csv and the current excel file is that it does not contain any reference data in dropdowns (such as waste facilities, carriers etc). As such, once data has been copy and pasted in, the reference data IDs will need to be added to enable uploading. These reference IDs are provided in a separate file alongside the csv bulk upload for waste. Without these IDs, your data cannot be uploaded to SmartWaste.
Please read the guidance document explaining how to use the .csv bulk upload for waste, which can be found on the waste bulk upload page.
Excel bulk upload for waste
Column names have been updated to provide clarity of the data to be entered, e.g. number to number of containers/skips. The SIC code column has been changed to reflect that it is non-mandatory. Additional columns have been added to allow the recording of up to two labels for a waste entry.
New user automated email
When a new user is added to SmartWaste, an automated email is now generated and sent to that user informing them of their username and password and how to log in.
There are now more options for read only users which can be quickly activated from the add/edit user page by ticking the relevant box. There is one option to give read only users access to all projects in a business unit or management unit once the user is assigned to that unit. The second option is to give read only users permission to edit the QA fields for data entries which have this field.
The Considerate Constructors Scheme (CCS) five section names have been updated to match the latest titles outlined in the Code of Considerate Practice.
The CCS ID has now been removed from the add/edit project page and instead will be added when CCS data is added. This is to allow projects lasting for several years to maintain accurate records.
New filters have been added to company level reports to allow better interrogation of data: live and/or completed projects, and archived and/or unarchived projects.
CSV downloads of reports have been updated to include the project reference number as well as the project name to allow better searching of data.
SmartWaste V5.1 – 09 October 2017
This release provides a number of improvements such as updated information and guidance for users, greater filtering abilities on some lists and logs and enhancements to the waste management contractors and material suppliers pages.
Information and guidance
i-buttons in the following locations have been updated to provide further guidance for users:
- Add waste data page – ‘Upload of evidence of WTN or consignment note (pdf)’: New text stating ‘Only one file can be saved, if you have multiple WTNs please ensure they are in one single file (i.e. PDF or Zip).’
- Add recovery rate for waste facility page and recovery rate records page – ‘Recycled %’: new text added saying ‘If no recycling rate is given, then a default rate will be applied of 50% for unsegregated and/or mixed waste and 80% for segregated waste’.
- Add waste data page – ‘Waste management contractor – carrier’ and ‘Waste management contractor – destination’: New text stating ‘If the carrier/destination is not listed, you will need to assign it to the project’.
Guidance text now appears on the waste data log when editing multiple entries to provide information for users on what can and can’t be done when editing multiple entries.
Waste data log
When editing multiple entries on the waste data log, a “Select all” link has been added at the bottom of the page allowing all entries on the current page to be selected at once, rather than having to select each one individually.
Waste management contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers
On the project assigning page, the pod for waste management contractors has been improved. This has been split into 2 pods; one showing waste carriers and one showing waste destinations that have been assigned to the project.
For both waste management contractors and subcontractors, where the box has been ticked saying that contractor is ‘Not in use’, a new ‘Reason not in use’ field will now appear. Filling in this field will help users to understand why the relevant contractor is no longer being used as the information will be visible on the waste management contractor details page.
On both the waste management contractors and materials suppliers listing pages, a column labelled ‘Assigned to projects’ has been added to indicate with a tick or cross where waste management contractors and material suppliers have been assigned to projects. This aids with the management of large lists of contractors and suppliers, providing an at a glance view of which ones have been assigned to projects.
The following new filters have been added to the material suppliers and waste management contractors listing page:
- Origin company name (names of companies in drop down list)
- Expiry date (expired, expires within a month)
- Assigned to projects (yes/no)
Energy – Fuel data log
On the fuels data log, the following filters have been added, enabling better searching of data:
- Start date
- End date
- Fuel type
- Fuel use
Pre-demolition audit module
The pre-demolition audit module can now be activated on any project, even if the project type/workstream selected when setting up the project is not set to demolition. This provides more flexibility for users.
SmartWaste V5 – 17 July 2017
This release sees the availability of two new modules, a new data labelling function and a small update to adding material data for timber. Each of these is described below.
Project management module
This new module allows the recording of data in 3 sub-modules for each project:
Staff hours – The number of staff hours for the project for a given time period e.g. monthly, including:
- From date
- To date
- Staff hours (number)
- Contractor name (drop down list)
- Labels (add label)
Staff numbers – The number of staff on the project for a given time period, including:
- From date
- To date
- Number of staff (number)
- Contractor name (drop down list)
- Labels (add label)
Toolbox talks – Logging toolbox talks completed on the project, including:
- date the talk took place
- type of talk (environment, health & wellbeing, safety)
- title of talk
- number of attendees
- contractor type (e.g. the company or a subcontractor assigned to the project)
- name of person carrying out the toolbox talk
- ability to upload evidence e.g. copy of the signed register of attendees
- Labels (add label)
Incidents, complaints and visits module
This new module provides the ability to record authority notices, visits, complaints and other incidents for various environmental and project issues. The following incident/complaint/visit information can be recorded for a project:
- date of the incident, complaint or visit
- type of incident (authority notice, authority visit, complaint, warning letter, or other)
- notifying party
- description/nature of incident, complaint or visit
- actions taken
- upload of evidence e.g. incident report, visit report
- Labels (add label)
When creating an entry in any one of the sub-modules within new project management module or the new incidents, complaints and visits module, you can add a label to the data entry to enable you to categorise the data with a label that is relevant to your business.
From the company details tab within your SmartWaste account, you can set up and manage a list of data labels which is then available for use throughout your SmartWaste account. This list of labels is only visible in your SmartWaste account for your use and can be used to label data entries.
In this SmartWaste V5 release, this new labels feature has been applied to the new modules of project management and incidents, complaints and visits. In the future we intend to extend the use of this label to other modules.
Update to the materials module – for timber data
When adding timber data within the materials module, there are now two new optional fields allowing you to record the timber species and timber country of origin by selecting from the available drop down lists if you wish.
Contractors search function
A filter has been added to the company level listing pages for waste management contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers. This allows you to enter part of a company name and search your full list of contractors or suppliers. A list of company names containing the text you searched for are then presented. This new function allows you to quickly locate the contractor or supplier you are looking for in a long list of company names.
Add waste data page updates
Some parts of the add waste data page have been updated to make field names clearer with improved i-button information. This is to bring the page more in line with the Waste Duty of Care Code of Practice. As part of this a number of fields on the add waste data page have had updates to their names and the descriptions in their i-buttons to provide more clarity.
SmartWaste V4 ‘The Biodiversity Release’ – 24 April 2017
A new “Edit company” tab
This is available from the group and company level. From here you can edit your company details, view your company licence details, activate modules you wish to be available in your company account and set options for your company account such as:
- Waste formats applicable (volume and/or tonnage projects)
- The type of KPI to be applied throughout your account (/£100k project value, /£100k total project spend or /£1 million total project spend)
- Transport data format to be used (kilometres or miles)
- Activate traffic lights to show when data was last entered (with either default or user entered settings)
- Apply filters to the group/company homepage based on a time period (show all data, rolling 12 month period, calendar year 1 April to 31 March). Data on the homepages can still be filtered using the date range on the page to show a different period of data.
- Choose for project value and cost data to only be available to the company super user level
- Disable certificate validate (for materials module)
A new module for “Biodiversity and ecology”
This has 4 sections which can be turned on or off including:
- Biodiversity champion – to record the name of the project’s biodiversity champion.
- Habitat area – to record habitat areas before and after construction and any new offsite areas created.
- Site surveys – to record any surveys which have been undertaken for the site related to biodiversity and ecology.
- Biodiversity and ecology features – to record biodiversity and ecology features of importance for the project and then record actions to be undertaken for each of these features. Actions can then be marked as completed and supporting evidence can be uploaded.
Waste management improvements
A number of improvements have been made to waste management contractors, subcontractors and suppliers (from here on referred to as “contractors and suppliers”).
- Listing and assigning pages – Lists of contractors and suppliers can be long so they have been split into pages to ensure each page loads quickly and you can navigate through the pages easily. This has also been applied to assigning pages where contractors and suppliers are listed. On assigning pages, you will need to select all contractors or suppliers on that page and click save before moving on to the next page to select and assign further contractors or suppliers.
- Adding new contractors and suppliers – When adding a new contractor or supplier a search is now performed checking for any which already exist with a similar name before you can create a new one. This should help reduce duplicate contractors/suppliers being created.
Improvements to charts:
- Company level charts now have date filters to enable better interrogation of data.
- Improvement of transport by material type charts at the company level to make data easier to interpret.
- New target for “% all waste diverted from landfill” available at all levels.
- Add energy and water data pages have a new “Notes” field in which additional details about the entry can be recorded.
- On the add waste data page for tonnage projects there is now a total calculated as you are entering data to show you the total tonnage you have allocated to that entry.
- Each user is now able to unsubscribe from the SmartWaste mailing list meaning that they will no longer receive newsletters from the SmartWaste team. On the user list for an account there is now a column showing which users are subscribed.
- The function for validating of material/timber suppliers certificates can now be switched off from the “Edit company” tab by selecting set company options.
SmartWaste V3.1 Release – 16 January 2017
- Waste management routes report (company level) – Data in the waste management routes report available at the company level can now be obtained in either percentages or totals.
- Recovery rates – For waste facility energy recovery rates you can now record the name of the energy recovery facility that this relates to.
- Waste data – editing and deleting multiple entries:
Waste data log:
- A new function is available allowing mass editing and deleting of waste data directly from the waste data log, enabling multiple waste entries to be selected and either edited or deleted at the same time.
- Users who can currently edit individual waste entries from the waste data log can now also edit multiple entries all at the same time. This applies to user level project user or higher.
- Users who can currently delete individual waste entries from the waste data log can now also delete multiple entries all at the same time. This applies to user level project admin or higher.
Waste data bulk upload:
- A log of past waste data bulk uploads is available that details when the bulk waste data was uploaded, the number of entries, the number of errors and a copy of the file that was uploaded.
- If you click on the date shown for an upload in the log, then a filtered version of the waste data log will be opened displaying only the entries from that bulk upload. From here you can select multiple entries to edit or delete.
- Alternatively, from the log of past bulk uploads, users will be able to delete a bulk upload which will delete all of the waste data from that upload. This applies to user level project admin or higher.
SmartWaste V3.0 Release – 07 November 2016
- Recording waste data in volume or tonnes – You are now able to decide for your whole account how you wish waste data to be recorded. Currently you choose when setting up a project whether it will be recording waste data in volume or tonnage. We are now giving you the ability to set which of these options are applied to the whole of your account. So you can choose for all projects in your account to be set up to record waste data in volume, or all projects to record waste in tonnes, or you can choose to keep the option for the user to decide whether to record waste in volume or tonnage at project set up.
- Pre-construction projects – Projects are currently split into live and completed projects lists. We are adding to this a new separate list of “pre-construction” projects where the start date of the project is in the future. The project will automatically move into the live projects list when the start date becomes current.
- SmartWaste timber module will be incorporated into materials – The 2 modules have now been combined into 1 module called Materials. This includes the previous timber module to improve consistency and provide one place to capture all your data on materials.
- Timber certification scheme – The claims that you can record have been updated in line with the latest FSC guidance.
- Validation of timber certificates – You can now record who within your company has checked via external websites that a timber certificate is valid. Only if a certificate is marked as valid in SmartWaste, will it appear in the certification number drop down list when adding timber data on the add materials data page.
- BREEAM waste credit targets – You are now able to select the number of BREEAM waste credits you are aiming for when setting company and project targets. This is in addition to the existing functionality of being able to add specific targets for waste generation and diversion from landfill.
- Site Waste Management Plan (SWMP) – In step 2 of the SWMP which looks at waste minimisation, you are now able to edit all rows of the table at once on the same screen, as well as adding new rows whilst doing this.
- SIC code on add waste data page – A new field has been included on the add waste data page to allow the recording of the SIC code.
- Waste data log – The ability to record any comments regarding errors with waste data can now be added via the add waste data page and the comments are visible in the waste data log. This is useful for auditing and QA procedures.
- SmartWaste new user reports – Several new reports have been created to help better manage and understand your environmental impacts. These new reports will expand the reach of SmartWaste’s reporting capabilities, giving you even more information to improve performance and solve problems as they occur.
- Waste management routes by project – This new report available at company/group level shows a summary per project of the total amount of waste generated and a breakdown of how much of this went to each waste management route detailing the volumes and/or tonnages reused, recycled, sent for recovery, recovered, energy recovered and landfilled. The energy recovered and landfilled figures include waste sent directly to those routes and also sent indirectly which means waste dealt with via a waste facility where a certain proportion was sent for energy recovery and/or landfill. The indirect figures are calculated using the recycling and energy recovery rates you enter for waste facilities.
- Energy CO2e report – Previously called the “Energy report” we have updated the name so that it is clearer what data is presented in this report. The layout of the report has not changed; it shows the kgCO2e generated per project from electricity, natural gas and fuel consumption. This report is available at both project and company/group level. At a company or group level it provides this information per project and also gives kgCO2e totals for each type of energy consumption for the company and overall totals for each project.
- Energy raw data – This is a new report which shows the raw energy data that you have entered which is used to create the kgCO2e figures. It provides the kWh consumption for electricity and natural gas and litres consumption for fuels. This report is available at both project and company/group level. At a company or group level it presents this information per project.
- Waste management contractors – This new report at company/group level shows a summary for each project of how much waste has been sent to each waste facility and whether a generic and/or product specific recycling rate was used, and how much waste was recovered.
- Materials reporting – the existing timber and other materials reports and charts can now be found sitting alongside each other in the new section in the reporting menu bar called “Materials”.
- Three new waste charts – These are available at company/group level. The first is for waste arisings by construction phase, showing the split between waste arising from the phases of construction, demolition, excavation and modular which will help you to better understand when in the project timeline waste is generated. The second chart shows the top 5 waste streams arising for the company which gives you the information you need to be able to follow up with sites to determine the reasons why this waste is arising and identify how it could be reduced. The third chart shows the waste arising by waste type and the waste management routes they were sent to, providing a useful overview of how waste is managed by your company.
SMARTWaste V2.1 Release – 08 August 2016
This release is focused on reporting enhancements and exporting data.
- Project Dashboard – The project home page has been renamed to the Project Dashboard where you can view summarised project data in tables as well as various charts. You can filter this by date and also download a formatted PDF or raw data as a CSV file.
- Edit Project – This page is where you can amend the project details, set targets and activate modules
- New Filterable Waste Report – You now have the ability to narrow your search on this report with multiple filters including the option to save specific filters to allow you to easily run the same report in the future. This applies to both Company and Project level.
- Waste Data Log – The layout of this has been reorganised and improved including the download
- Export Reports – The waste types and routes report (previously detailed information report) and the new waste report filters can now be downloaded as a PDF or CSV file
SMARTWaste V2.0 Release – 18 April 2016
- SMARTWaste Modularisation – With the increasing number of modules being added to the SMARTWaste tool, we want to keep the user experience slick and relevant to you. Account Super Users can now disable and hide any individual modules in SMARTWaste that you do not currently use. This is set at the Company Account Level and applies to all projects. Modules can be switched on and off at any time, and will not affect any data collected. The full list of SMARTWaste modules currently available to all SMARTWaste members are:
- Considerate Constructors Scheme
- Pre-demolition Audit
- Master List of Waste Management Contractor Records – (Note: This function only applies to Group Level SMARTWaste Accounts that have three or more reporting tiers e.g. Company > Business Unit > Project). This new functionality has created one Master list of company-wide Waste Management Contractors available to ALL business units at all levels. This replaces the previous separate lists that were individually managed and edited at the Business Unit level. The new Master List will sit at the Company Level but can still be edited and added to at the Business Unit level. This improvement will avoid duplicate Waste Management Contractors entries across multiple business units saving both staff time and improving the accuracy of your waste contractor records and recycling rates.
- Waste Recycling & Energy Recovery Rates – When entering recycling rates in SMARTWaste for a Material Recovery Facility (MRF) it is now possible to enter the percentage of waste materials recovered that are ‘recycled’ and those sent for incineration with ‘energy recovery’. Both options divert the waste from landfill however entering these rates will more accurately capture and report on exactly where your waste is going. If you are not able to get information from your waste contractor on the split between waste recycled and sent for energy recovery then you can continue to record waste in SMARTWaste that has been ‘Recovered’ (and diverted from landfill) by just entering an Overall % “Recovery” rate.
- Default Waste Recovery Rates – Default waste recovery rates have been added to SMARTWaste. This improves on the scenario where the absence of a ‘Recovery rate’ for a waste facility would lead to the waste being reported as 100% being sent to Landfill. Instead two default recovery rates will now be applied depending on whether the waste is mixed or segregated. For mixed (unsegregated) construction waste SMARTWaste will apply a 50% default recovery rate. For segregated waste (e.g. one waste material per skip) SMARTWaste will apply a 80% default recovery rate. These default rates are a recognised industry wide average. Obviously individual waste facilities can and do perform above these rates. As before you can still enter an ‘actual’ recovery rate in SMARTWaste for a waste facility which would overwrite the default recovery rates.
- Project Linking – It is now possible to link a project between two or more SMARTWaste Accounts. This functionality will be useful where two or more SMARTWaste member companies are both working on the same construction project. It avoids the same project and environmental data being entered into SMARTWaste more than once. It also allows a Client or Principal Contractor to link their project to a sub-contractor working on the project to enter their own environmental data which reports back up to the Client or Principal Contractor.
PLEASE NOTE: If you require to link a project please contact the SMARTWaste team for further assistance as this function must be enabled on an account by account basis. We will also talk you through the steps for linking your project to another SMARTWaste Account.
- Printer-friendly Site Waste Management Plan – New functionality to print your SWMP in a print friendly PDF format.
- Additional SWMP functionality
- Waste Management Options (Step 4) will now auto-complete with the waste materials forecast in Step 3.
- Post Project Review (Step 9) includes a new ‘snapshot’ feature that takes the ‘Actual versus Forecast’ waste table from Step 7. This allows the user to easily review and comment on the overall project performance based on the data presented in the table.
- A new summary SWMP table has been added to the Project Dashboard that highlights the completion status of each step in the SWMP.
SMARTWaste V1.1 (Live from 09/11/2015)
- BREEAM New Construction 2014 – A new comprehensive BREEAM New Construction 2014 Report is available at the Project Level that provides all the necessary information from SMARTWaste required by your BREEAM Assessor in one report (accessible from the Project Level Reporting tab).
- New Materials reporting module (Available to all members) – Allows users to record the purchase of certified and non-certified materials on your construction project. Monitor construction materials against the following responsible sourcing standards
- BES6001 scheme
- BS8902 CARES scheme
- Eco-Reinforcement scheme
- ISO14001 scheme
- Assigning users and contractors made easier – A new button on the set up page for users and contractors now allows you to immediately assign a new user/contractor/supplier that has been added to the system to a project(s) by selecting from a list of projects.
- Project cost hide function – This function allows project costs to be hidden to all users other than the Super User. It is accessible from the ‘My Company’ page and can only be switched on/off by the SMARTWaste Super User.
- CO2 Conversion factors – New DECC 2015 CO2 factors added to SMARTWaste.
- New fuel type added – White diesel and its conversion factor has been added to the Fuel Reporting module
- Gas Reporting – New function to add project gas consumption in m3. The system will then convert these units to kWh and CO2
- WRAP Halving Waste to Landfill – The link from SMARTWaste to the WRAP Halving waste to landfill portal has been removed. WRAP have stopped all support to the Construction sector (under the Built Environment Programme) including all tools.
- Membership Renewal notifications – Membership notifications will now appear on your company homepage relating to membership renewal expiry dates.
- Considerate Constructors Scheme module – The CCS module has now been added to all member accounts to help track, target and report on their project’s CCS scores. This module is added at the Project Level if you want to track CCS scores for any particular project.
- Transport reporting module – The transport module has now been added to all member accounts which allows users to record journeys and report associated fuel used, and related CO2 emissions for waste removed from site, material deliveries, and staff travel.