SmartWaste Pre-demolition Audits: Supporting the Circular Economy
Construction’s focus on sustainable and efficient building practices has encouraged the application of circular economy thinking. Increasingly, new construction or refurbishment projects need to demonstrate, at design and planning stages, how waste reuse and reduction are going to be prioritised. This obligation is embodied in BREEAM, the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for infrastructure and buildings, where an audit of demolition waste management should be completed.
How Does SmartWaste Support Pre-demolition Audits?
SmartWaste is BRE’s environmental and sustainability monitoring and management solution. It provides centralised data collection and validation capabilities that help construction, refurbishment and demolition companies deliver on their ESG reporting needs. Our solution delivers the following Pre-demolition Audit capabilities:
Experienced Auditors – using BRE science and expertise to deliver pre-demolition and pre-refurbishment audits that provide clients with independent advice about product and material reuse and recycling.
Accurate Reporting – supporting planning life cycle assessment, Circular Economy Statements and BREEAM assessment and certification.
Set and manage targets – establish your material reuse and recycling ambitions for the project and set applicable targets.
Record performance – Using SmartWaste’s data capture tools, e.g. direct input, application programming interface (API) or bulk upload functionality capture and collate waste performance and material data accurately and reliably.
Performance measurement and insight – SmartWaste provides extensive reporting capabilities, performance indicators and benchmarks to help your organisation manage its Circular Economy commitments and ESG reporting needs.
What Benefits do SmartWaste Pre-demolition Audits Deliver?
Using SmartWaste for pre-demolition audits can help the client realise several benefits:
Enhance their reputation, brand and stakeholder relationships
- Demonstrate resource conservation, increased efficiency, and responsible and sustainable sourcing.
- Inform decisions to design out construction, demolition and excavation waste.
Increase project value
- Support achievement of BREEAM certification and the corresponding increase in asset value.
- Identify materials that can be reused and recycled.
- Manage waste sustainably and at the highest value.
- Help appoint the most suitable demolition or refurbishment contractor.
- Outcome forecast based upon more detailed and more accurate data.
- Independent BRE science and expertise delivers better quality outcomes, saving time in the longer term.
Browse the latest insights, thinking and case studies from SmartSite
Save time and improve accuracy with the new SmartWaste function for bulk uploads for electricity, natural gas, and water usage data